Thursday, September 3, 2009

"All you need is love..." - a pledge

All you need is love,
all you need is love,
All you need is love, love,
love is all you need.

There's nothing you can know that isn't known.
Nothing you can see that isn't shown.
Nowhere you can be that isn't
...where you're meant to be.
It's easy.

All you need is love,
all you need is love,
All you need is love, love,
love is all you need.
All you need is love
...all together now
All you need is love
...everybody
All you need is love, love,
love is all you need."

-     Lennon/McCartney

Tonight my friend, James, posted this "I Pledge" video from Youtube (please don't miss watching it...just click on the title "I Pledge" in quotes) on his Facebook wall, and I liked it so much, that I plagi-posted it to my Facebook wall. But first, please let me state for the record, that for me, this video is not political, it is a compelling piece about what people are willing to pledge their lives to.

So, that said, soon a few of my girlfriends and I (at least the ones who were still awake at 12:30 in the morning) had a great "conversation" about what it is that we pledge our lives to. At first I listed off a number of things that I am committed to.  Among which were:  injuring no man, but blessing all mankind,  kindness, commiting to my own change, before I ask others to change, service to humanity, etc. 

But as our conversation evolved, and we each moved through the space of crafting our own pledges, I loved how my friend Michelle finally boiled hers down to this very simple sentence at the very end of a more lengthy statement:

"I pledge to Love"

I think it was what each of us was trying to say, but we were using way too many words. We were caught up in "more" -- more words, more ideas, more breadth of vision -- when that simple statement...more profound than anything that could have been carefully crafted by the wisest sage, or the most renowned philosopher...was absolutely perfect.  It reminded me of something Mary Baker Eddy said in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures:

"The depth, breadth, height, might, majesty,
and glory of infinite Love fill all space.
That is enough!"

And it is enough.  It is more than enough to ponder, to exercise, to live by, to hold ourselves accountable for...to pledge to.

Paul and John got it right...
"All You Need is Love" I don't know that it is always easy, but I do know that it is all we need. It's all that we ever need. It is enough...

So, tonight this is all I will say:

"I pledge to Love"

yes, it is enough...always,
Kate
Kate Robertson, CS

No comments:

Post a Comment