Thursday, May 21, 2009

"So let the wonder take you into space..."

"...So let the wonder
take you into space
And lay you under
its loving embrace
Just feel the thunder
as it warms your face
You can't hold back...

Just let your love flow
like a mountain stream
And let your love grow
With the smallest of dreams
and let your love show
And you'll know what I mean,
it's the season
Let your love fly
like a bird on the wing
And let your love bind
you to all living things
And let your love shine
And you'll know what I mean,
that's the reason..."

- Bellamy Brothers
"
Let Your Love Flow"

Have you ever thought about "wonder" taking you into a space where love embraces you?  I hadn't, but when I heard the Bellamy Brothers' song, "Let Your Love Flow" recently, it was that verse that really resonated with me.  I have been living in a space of wonder lately. 

The definition of "wonder" I love is: "a feeling of surprise mingled with admiration, caused by something beautiful, unexpected, unfamiliar, or inexplicable." And this is where I am trying to live, to exist, to abide.  In a space of divine wonder.  To be surprised by God and His love for creation.  Tonight's surprise came when four year old Travis, joined us in saying the Lord's Prayer during church and his sweet, passionate, "forever" at the end took my breath away.  "For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory...forever." 

I wish you could have heard the pure trust and innocent confidence in his voice.  If I could have just sat silently letting its sound echo through the room and through to the core of my being for the rest of the hour it would have been heavenly.  Something about it reached like a tuning fork into my heart and set it right again.

Wonder is a space of openness, hunger, and expectancy.  It trusts that around every corner it a divine surprise.

Years ago I had a friend who was, for me, a genuine spiritual mentor.  Whenever I would call him because I was in crisis or facing a personal challenge, he would start by saying, "Wonderful!!"  Because I knew that his heart was filled with an unflappable certainty that I was the loved and blessed child of God, I reveled in this response.  In fact, it made me happy and peaceful. I knew it reflected his own wonder.  A wonder that filled him with childlike joy and expectation, and he wished that same wonder for me.

Each time I heard his, "Wonderful!!" my entire being relaxed into a space of hope and faith, trust and certainty in God's hand in my life and the universe.

Tonight, wherever you are, whatever you are facing, I send a prayer that your life is filled with wonder.  I pray that childlike wonder carves its space in your heart and that you are surprised by how God fills it with extraordinary goodness.

Kate
Kate Robertson, CS

No comments:

Post a Comment