Monday, June 25, 2018

"every little bit of it..."


"There it is,
just below,

 the surface of things;
in a flash of blue
and the turning of wings..."

It's Sunday night. I am sitting here in the near-dark reviewing the sweetness of a week filled with simple and profound moments.  Moments of love, trust, and courage lived. Carrie Newcomer's "Every Little Bit of It,"is a perfect benediction song.  I hope you will take a moment and listen to it.

The other day I was sitting at my desk hungry for something I could not put my finger on. It wasn't just a want, it was a need. I needed to feel the presence of divine Love guiding my prayers.

I closed my eyes and bowed my head. I let every self-directed thought slip through the fingers of human insight and reasoning. I was suspended in the silence when something touched the periphery - like the darting of a hummingbird.

I stayed very still. I waited. It came again. First a glimpse of light. Then more focus. I barely breathed. It wasn't words. It was a feeling. It hovered and then it landed -- just long enough for me to see into the eyes of its undeniable truth.

I didn't think. I didn't move. I held on to the feeling of its brief brush against my heart. I let it rest.  I felt it sink deeper. I let it become what it was for me -- a moment of Truth. A moment when I knew the face of God.

I had been feeling undeserving. I'd been yearning for His mercy and grace. I'd been reaching through the darkness for a glimmer of light. When it came, it's touch was so tender. It's message so clear. It's Source so undeniable. That in a moment's sharp intake of recognition, I felt the actual presence of these four words from a much-loved hymn by John Goss:


"ransomed,
healed,
restored,
 forgiven...”


The message was so simple. So simple that I still don't have words for what I felt. Perhaps someday. But for now, it was enough to feel its flutter against my heart. To feel the whir of its heartbeat throughout my being. The promise of His mercy in its grace.

I didn't need to see a changed human situation. What I needed was to feel the undeniable presence of divine Love. In Pulpit and Press, Mary Baker Eddy defines "proof of healing" as:


"a sweet and certain sense
that God is Love...”

And that is exactly what I felt. It was more than enough.

offered with Love,




Kate








No comments:

Post a Comment