Wednesday, September 23, 2009

"If I wrote a note to God..."

"If I wrote a note to God
I would speak whats in my soul
I'd ask for all the hate to be swept away and
For the love to overflow
If I wrote a note to God
I'd pour my heart out on each page...
If I wrote a note to God..."

- Joanna Noelle

I heard this song recently and it sparked a question for me, "What would I say, "If I wrote a note to God"...from my perspective...as a mom, a spiritual healer, a social activist, a human rights advocate...as a fellow citizen of universal humanity?

At first I thought about things like world peace, human trafficking, poverty, suffering.  Would I ask God to end these atrocities?  Would I plead with the divine for intervention?  Would I bargain for mercy...our monetary losses (in light of the financial meltdown in the western world) for an end to genocide in Africa.

All month I have continued to ponder the song's invitation to write my own letter to God.

Sometimes, in the wee small hours between the deep darkness of "after midnight" and the soft lavender light of dawn, I would find myself thinking in terms of the minutiae of my own life.  Would I tell God about my daughters and ask Him for guidance in parenting them with compassion, courage, and trust?  I might remember my beautiful mother and make note to mention my hungry hopes that she experience only the same kindness and generosity in her life, that she has always given others. I would try to remind myself that asking for more of my husband's company might be a less than selfless request in light of his nobleness of purpose in taking on an assignment in a far away city.  I would try to refrain from begging Him to bring my daughter home "from the ends of the earth,"  and our son from college, safely...and soon.

The other day, standing in the middle of an upscale shopping mall, I imagined the paragraph I'd pen as my prayer for an ending to flagrant consumerism.   Before I knew it, I'd mentally outlined the need for simplicity and a more responsible use of natural resources,  as well as my pledge to live with less.  In air script, I wrote out my fervent promise to judge less and give more...compassion, understanding, patience. 

But tonight, as I continued to mentally draft my note to God,  I was reminded of so many statements from Mary Baker Eddy's, chapter "Prayer" in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, including, but not limited to these:

"God is Love. Can we ask Him to be more? God is intelligence. Can we inform the infinite Mind of anything He does not already comprehend?  Do we expect to change perfection? Shall we plead for more at the open fount, which is pouring forth more than we accept?"

and

"Asking God to be God is a vain repetition. God is "the same yesterday, and to-day, and forever;" and He who is immutably right will do right without being reminded of His province. The wisdom of man is not sufficient to warrant him in advising God."

and

"Shall we ask the divine Principle of all goodness to do His own work? His work is done, and we have only to avail ourselves of God's rule in order to receive His blessing, which enables us to work out our own salvation."

Humbled by these gentle, but profound reminders of God's omnipresent love for, omniscient awareness of, and omnipotent power to govern His universe...my note became very brief, I drew a softly textured, creamy white note card from the navy blue Crane's stationary box I'd received from a client for Christmas last year, and uncapped my favorite fountain pen.  Then I wrote in my best script:

Thank you Father...
I love you...your daughter,
Kate



No comments:

Post a Comment