Tuesday, August 4, 2009

"So are You to me..."

"...As the ruby in the setting
As the fruit upon the tree
As the wind blows over the plains
So are you to me..."

- Eastmountainsouth

This lovely song, "So are You to Me," by  Kat Bode and Peter Adams, formerly known as Eastmountainsouth, has lived in my heart as a poem, since the first time I heard it. Writing poetry, for me, is like taking dictation from God...or in this case, writing a love letter:

You are my love
You are the love of my life
Yours is the first face I seek
when I wake in the morning
yours is the first hand upon my heart.

You are all that I have ever hoped for.

When I am empty
your love fills me with purpose
When I am full
you give me ways to empty my soul
into the hands of the hungry,
the sorrowing,
the sick and weary...
so that I am ready for more.

You are my  "safe place to fall"
No one else could ever
really know the curves,
the rough places...the crooked and straight,
the narrow and dark spaces
of my life so well as You.
Our fit so perfect
that there are no pressure points
to leave me aching for relief.

When the world seems to crash
in around the edges of my peace
and demons scream
that I am vulnerable and small
You, and only You
whisper, "you are stronger than diamonds,
brighter than reflected light,
larger than the love you long for..."

You are my every reason for taking the next breath
my cause for joy, the only One who gives purpose
to my minutes
stacked one-by-one
until they create a hour, a day, a year....a life.

You are the place
I run to
but never from
The "home away from home"
I never leave

You are the voice I listen for
in the quiet of the morning when I
am conscious of life, but not yet aware of
colors, people, sounds....my own skin.

You are my Life. 

I am your life.

We live in a dance of Father and child
Mind and idea...
Love and loved.

I love you with all my being
I cannot live without your love...
because you are all that is...
the I AM that I am...
You are the center of my
being, my home, my heaven within
...my God.


Kate

Kate Robertson, CS

[photo credit:  Nathaniel Wilder 2008]

No comments:

Post a Comment