Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"What if God was one of us..."

"If God had a name what would it be?
And would you call it to his face?
If you were faced with him in all his glory
what would you ask if you had just one question?

Yeah, Yeah, God is great
Yeah, Yeah, God is good
Yeah Yeah yeah yeah yeah

What if God was one of us?_
Just a slave like one of us?_
Just a stranger on the bus_
Tryin' to make His way home..."

Joan Osbourne
"What if God was One of Us"
(click on the above song title as a link to the video)

I've been living in this "space of the question" for a long time now...the question. 

Some think that this questioning is prayer...I am one of them.  For me, it is the clearest, and most concrete, sign of God's presence in my life.  I do believe that it...this questioning... is the blessedness Jesus refers to in the beatitude "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness..."  I am in no hurry to rush into the space of "...and they shall be filled."

Today I am sitting here loving the questions within my heart...questions that prove I am seeking God's face in all things.  I am at peace with
this me.   My questions all lead to one primary question...a question so primal there are no words adequate in describing it.

This video of
Susan Boyle's performance contributed to the most lovely "aha" moment of further questioning. Note the change of perception in the judges and audience...heart-breakingly moving. I wonder what questions they are asking themselves, and their God, about their own hopes and dreams in those moments.

Mary Baker Eddy says that, "The prayer that reforms the sinner and heals the sick is an absolute faith that all things are possible to God, a spiritual understanding of Him, an unselfed love."  This understanding of Him is a constant question...rather than an answer...for me.   

Einstein said, "I want to know God's thoughts...the rest are details."   And this wanting to know was an endless journey for him....and it is for me.

Last night as I sat in the stillness of a darkened room, it was the questions that brought me into serenity and provided a resting place for my hopes. 

Questions like, "How can I best serve you?" and "Is it possible for
anyone to reach the summit of his/her potential?" made me realize that I care...about service and the hopes and dreams of others.  The first question is a constant for me...it is answered in a hundred different ways each day...the second was answered, in part, by the above video. 

Enjoy the questions in your own heart today, stay open to the endless ways that they are answered moment-by-moment, and celebrate the new questions they bless you with.

always with Love....and a questioning heart,
Kate
Kate Robertson, CS


photo credit:  Sarah "Sunny" Winterroth [2009]

No comments:

Post a Comment