Thursday, October 16, 2008

"I choose You...."

"…I choose You
All my attention, affection
And all my devotion's for You
If everybody's worshipping something…
I choose You

Before I chose You,
You first chose me
I worship You,
You alone are worthy

You alone deserve it-
all of my worship
Lord I choose You…"

-Point of Grace

Someone asked me today if I had made my choice of candidates for this historic presidential race.

I spent most of the day thinking about this question, as well as why I actually feel so at peace about where my heart is on the extraordinary privilege of electing our next president with my one vote.

For me, it boils down to the simple message found in the above lyrics.  I chose Him/Her.  I choose to commit my life and my choices, my thoughts and decisions to my highest sense of what most honors my devotion to God.

When weighing my options during this election season, I've found guidance and direction in this simple, yet profound, passage of Jesus Christ's from Matthew:

"...Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand,
Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom
prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat:
I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink:
I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Naked, and ye clothed me:
I was sick, and ye visited me:
I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying,
Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee?
or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in?
or naked, and clothed thee?
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
And the King shall answer and say unto them,
Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto
one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.


This is my model for true servant-leadership.  My candidate will be the man or woman who first chooses to serve the hungry, the thirsty, the stranger, the naked, the sick, the imprisoned…the widow and the fatherless,
before he, or she, asks me to choose him…or her. 

Each of us will stand in the voting booth with our God and our one vote…I can't wait.

With Love,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment