Tuesday, September 9, 2008

"We ask that life be kind..."

"...We ask that life be kind
And watch us from above
We hope each soul will find
Another soul to love

Let this be our prayer
Just like every child

Needs to find a place,
Guide us with your grace
Give us faith so we'll be safe..."

-     Josh Groban (The Prayer)

Sam sent an email earlier today.  She is going to University in London and "posts" me a daily update on her activities so that I won't be shocked when she returns next summer and is all "pip, pip," "cheerio," and ordering "chips" at Kay's instead of French fries.  I love hearing all about her life in "the big city" and her adventures through the looking glass of dollars to pounds and yards to meters.

Today's email included a midday shopping trip and the bus ride home:

"We took the bus back and all the school kids were on there in
their blazers and skirts and amazing accents.  This one little
kid was really sad and she was telling us how all her friends
had their back to her.  I felt bad."

I read it and burst into tears.  I was that little girl so much of my childhood.  I would have given anything to have some "big girls" take an interest in me on the bus, notice my aloneness, and show compassion by talking with me.

So this is a post celebrating all the big girls (and boys) who take notice, who are aware, who remember that being a child can sometimes be lonely and confusing, and who stop, for a moment, to make a difference.

Jesus celebrates the kindness of a traveling foreigner on the road from Jerusalem to Jericho, in the story of The Good Samaritan…I have my own Good Samantha story now.

Sam and her friends may never see that little girl again.  The color of her school uniform, the length of her hair, the town she was from will fade from their memory, but I can almost promise you that the sound of their voices, the kindness in their eyes, the hope they inspired...will never fade from hers.

As Mother Teresa once said, "There are no great things to be done, only small things done with great love."

I am very proud of you Sam…I know your mom is too.

Love,

M- Kate

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:06 PM

    lindo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    very beautifulll
    great

    ReplyDelete