Monday, February 4, 2008

"Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes..."

"Ch-ch-Changes
Don't tell them to grow up and out of it
Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes..."

Every night when I turn on CNN, MSNBC or BBC on PBS, I find myself staring at video from the day's Obama rallies.  Navy blue signs emblazoned with the word "Change" in white across them bounce and sway behind the candidate in the hands of his supporters.  And before I know it, the first thing that pops into my head is, "Ch-ch-ch-changes…"   Now, I've always liked David Bowie, but I would not call myself a Bowie fan.  I thought he was an innovative performance artist, but I don't think I ever purchased a David Bowie album and I know I never tried to learn a Bowie song on the guitar.  But like most of my peers, I don't think any of us could have made it through the 70s without having "Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes…" etched on our mental time capsule. 

Tonight it replayed enough times, in light of the barrage of pre-Super Tuesday video bytes of rallies in Missouri, Massachusetts and California peppering the airwaves, that I became curious.  What were the rest of those lyrics.  Imagine my surprise when I discovered this verse buried in the middle of what I now think is a pretty cool 36 year old social protest song.

"...And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
Theyre quite aware of what theyre going through..."

Wow.  I'll say it again, "Wow..."
 
As I trolled Facebook tonight, I was quite impressed with the socio-political awareness of our "children".  Their fervor for reform is reminiscent of my generation's hunger for engagement in a process that promised us we mattered.  I think we did.  I believe that they do.  I have faith in, as Mary Baker Eddy, states:

"A great sanity, a mighty something buried in the depths of the unseen, has wrought a resurrection among you, and has leaped into living love.  What is this something, this phoenix fire, this pillar by day, kindling, guiding, and guarding your way?  It is unity , the bond of perfectness, the thousandfold expansion that will engirdle the world,--unity, which unfolds the thought most within us into the greater and better, the sum of all reality and good.
   This unity is reserved wisdom and strength.  It builds upon the rock, against which envy, enmity, or malice beat in vain.  Man lives, moves, and has his being in God, Love.  Then man must live, he cannot die; and Love must necessarily promote and pervade all his success. Of two things fate cannot rob us; namely, of choosing the best, and of helping others thus to choose. But in doing this the Master became the servant.  The grand must stoop to the menial.  There is scarcely an indignity which I have not endured for the cause of Christ, Truth, and I returned blessing for cursing.  The best help the worst; the righteous suffer for the unrighteous; and by this spirit man lives and thrives, and by it God governs."


As I read this passage again tonight I couldn't help but think of my young friends who have hope that their candidate will bring new direction and leadership to their deep desire to live lives of human compassion, environmental integrity, and global unity.  I will vote tomorrow not just for my candidate, but for a generation of voters I believe will make a difference.  I will vote for their right to lead my generation into greater community service, deeper moral courage, higher social responsibility. 

As I do, I will gratefully celebrate Eddy's profound definition of the term "Children" in the glossary of her primary work
Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures:

CHILDREN.  The spiritual thoughts and representatives of Life, Truth, and Love…
God's thoughts, not in embryo, but in maturity;
 

I hope and pray that we pay heed to these spiritually mature thought-leaders…and that we don't hesitate to follow their example of change…not change for change-sake, but for humanity's sake.
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment