Thursday, October 18, 2007

"Let God be the hero in your story"

"…It might have appeared to go unnoticed,
but I've got it all here in my heart.
I want you to know I know the truth,
of course I know it.
I would be nothing without you.

Did you ever know that you're my hero?
You're everything I wish I could be.
I could fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings…."

- Henley/ Silbar

Last week I was reminded of an epiphany I had at camp years ago.  This recent reminder came as a gentle, but firm, rebuke. 

And of course, it started with a song.  No surprise I'm sure.  Whenever I've heard the lyrics to Bette Midler's "Wind Beneath My Wings" in the past, one of two things came to mind.  Either I thought about it in reference to someone (or even something) in my life - a friend, loved one, parent, sibling, a particular organization, perspective or system – who had been there for me…who had made a difference at one time or another…in my story.  Or, I am embarrassed to say, I thought about how much I wanted to really live my life in a way – nobly, courageously, generously – that would allow me to be "the wind beneath" someone else's wings.

I know…sad…but true.  I am a bit slow on the uptake sometimes! Now it's been quite a few years since I've thought about this song…I don't listen to soft-rock radio, haven't been to a wedding reception with a live cover band, and "Beaches" hasn't been on the late night movie channel…or at least I haven't had the opportunity to know about it. 

But that said, I don't know that I would have heard it any differently....  

That is, until last week when the thought came, out of the blue,  "Let God be the hero in your story…in fact, Let God be the hero in everyone's story." Now, Susan Dane, in her book "When All Systems Fail" says, "In the movies, we get to be the heroes. But in the story of spirituality, God does." However, this wasn't what God said to me last week, His angels simply whispered the above, "Let God be the Hero in your story, in fact, let God be the Hero in everyone's story."

Hmmm…right up until that moment I thought I
was doing just that. But I have long-since learned that I can always do better at surrendering my own sense of having "accomplished" something. So I stopped in my tracks and actually pondered the message with an open heart. And in that space of hungering for something fresh and new, like opening the windows in a stuffy room and having the winds of Sprit blow through clearing out the cobwebs, I was reminded of an experience I had almost 20 years earlier at camp.  I was there for counselor "training school," as well as a couple of youth sessions that year, and had the opportunity to participate in some of the training workshops. 

One was a session on low-impact camping that my friend Mark James was giving.  It was all about "leave no footprints"…meaning, as much as possible leave as little of yourself on the trail as is humanly possible.  Take out your trash, disturb as little ground, return to civilization having left the forest as you found it. 

As a spiritual healer this became my model for being invited into someone's "life" and being asked to give treatment.  I wanted to go in, when invited, give treatment, and tiptoe out…without leaving any of "me" behind.  This meant that I talked as little as possible…and listened more...to God...and to the patient.  It was my job to point out God's constant, still (never-the-less) presence in their lives, and turn their gaze in that direction…instead of looking at me.  That I would leave "without a trace" of Kate. 

I love that God sends us angel reminders to keep us honest in this work.  It's always such a bittersweet joy to be reminded that we can do better. And if you know my relationship to chocolate...I'm all about bittersweet.  And this angel message was just that a reminder to "do better."  

"Let God be the hero in their story" was such a gentle way for God to hold my hand in this work, and coincides, for me, with the story of Jesus healing of the woman with an infirmity.  The Bible reports that "immediately she was made straight, and glorified God."  Some years ago, I looked up the word "immediate" and it said "without medium."  This made such sense to me in light of my desire for a "low impact camping" approach to spiritual healing.  That Jesus healed without being the medium for the person's relationship to God was so clear in light of his gospel message, "The kingdom of God is within you."  It also made perfect sense to me that following the healing, they would glorify God…not Jesus.  He had already tiptoed backwards out of the clearing like a Indian maiden in deerskin moccasins…not even a dry leaf crackling under foot. 

Couldn't this also be, I asked myself,  what he meant when he is reported as having said, "The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he
seeth the Father do…"?

For me, that is my job…to see what the Father is doing.  It's like walking into a room full of people (or even just one person) and not saying a word, but staring at a beautiful painting on the wall.  Eventually, one by one, everyone starts looking at that same painting.  My job is to go in and just transfix my gaze on the presence of God that I am sure is there in (and as) someone's life.  The "first faint morning beam" of goodness, affection, grace, strength, purity…that is always present.  And patiently wait while their "eyes" focus on that same presence of God with gratitude and appreciation.  And when we appreciate something (are grateful for it, recognize and give thanks for it's worth in our lives…however faint a glimpse it might be) it appreciates (grows in value…like your money in an interest bearing account…or the value in your home when it appreciates). 

Once they are focused on the already presence of God, good in their lives…and they see it appreciate to the full-noon of a risen day (the complete sun was always there) I can tiptoe out the door and leave them transfixed on God….or as is says in the Bible, "glorifying the God of Israel."

This was particularly helpful the other night when I did something careless and injured myself quite severely. I was quick to make myself the villain in my story. I had been in a hurry, not paying attention, you know how it goes. But in a moment rife with self-rebuke the thought came again, "Let God be the Hero in your story." I was at first puzzled, I wasn't even thinking about a hero. But then I realized that what I had been thinking about was me as a careless villain. I had also assigned myself the role of being someone who either needed to find a hero to make it better, or become a hero in my own story by praying more effectively. Once again, that angel reminder stopped me cold. Ahh, God was always present in my life as the only hero, the only Mind controlling my thoughts, motives, and actions...and there were no villains. Even my silly self. Within moments of that thought I became more peaceful...and found my first moment of freedom from the extreme discomfort I had been experiencing. And right on the heels of this realization, my husband arrived on the scene. He expressed such a calm, gentle love and was so patient in helping me care for the injury. I think it was very clear to us both that he was not the Superhero, but a great sidekick...a great witness to what the real Superhero was doing all along. I slept pain-free and peacefully that night and by the next morning I was moving freely.

So…I have been gently rebuked, carefully reminded, and am deeply grateful.  It is a joy to let God be the hero in my story…and in everyone else's story too.

"Did you ever know that you're my hero?
You're everything I wish I could be.
I could fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings…."

with love for the Hero in everyone's story...
Kate

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:41 PM

    This is a deep thought. I don't think I can grasp it all to even comment on it, but thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete