Wednesday, July 28, 2021

"i love to tell the story..."

 

"i love to tell the story
of unseen things above
of Jesus and his glory
of Jesus and his love..." 

I love to tell stories.  But it is the stories that have God as the main Character, and Jesus as the protagonist - well, those are my favorites. That is what delights my soul.  Finding this video of Emmylou Harris and Robert Duvall singing "I Love to Tell the Story," made me smile this morning.  It is simple -- and it is real.  

As an essayist -- or storyteller -- I have wrestled with the "why" of writing these posts -- for the past 16 years.  Over seven hundred essays later, I still wake up wanting to tell the story of Jesus and his love.  Of God's unfailing law.  Of how deeply and profoundly I have felt the power of grace:  "the unearned and unmerited favor of God" [Webster.] 

My wise, kind, and brilliantly talented sister-in-law shared a book with me as I headed out from a short visit with her earlier this month.  It is a collection of essays by Maine writer - and author of the children's book, "Charlotte's Web," - e.b. white.

White writes, in its Foreword:

"The essayist is a self-liberated man, sustained by the childish belief that everything he thinks about, everything that happens to him, is of general interest.  He is a fellow who thoroughly enjoys his work.  Each new excursion of the essayist, each new "attempt," differs from the last and takes him into new country.  

"The essayist, unlike the novelist, the poet, and the playwright, must be content in his self-imposed role of second-class citizen. A writer who has his sights trained on the Nobel Prize or other earthly triumphs had best write a novel, a poem, or a play, and leave the essayist to ramble about -- content with living a free life and enjoying the satisfactions of a somewhat undisciplined existence.  

[But] "there is one thing the essayist cannot do, though -- he cannot indulge himself in deceit or in concealment...."  

I understand what White is saying so clearly.  Without a clear sense of purpose, these posts -- "you are not alone in your search for God," -- they could become, as White continues:  "self-absorbed and egotistical."  I still worry that they come across as self-absorbed.  But, that said, I wake up each day with so much gratitude for how God has shown me his grace.  And how his son, Jesus Christ, has inspired, guided and encouraged my every step -- every hour, of every day.  And I don't know what to do with it all.  So I write.  

Mostly I write little poems that start out as big poems that I whittle down to their most distilled essence over the course of the day. But I also journal, and make notes from Scriptural study,  and take notice of how grace is moving my heart, and observe how nature is teaching me about God's love. 

In short, I love to tell the story -- but it has to be, "of Jesus and his love."  His love for God.  And God's love for each of us.  

So, if you ever read one of these posts and think to yourself, "wow Cate, do you really think that your personal experience, observation, story is worth reading?" I can tell you -- I have probably asked myself that question thousands of times over the course of these past 16 years.  But, I can't seem to stop myself from wanting to tell the story of Jesus and his love.  And of how all nature is teaching me about God's love.  Every facet of God's presence is beautiful to me -- and rich with wonder.  So, if this seems self-important -- please forgive me.  

offered with love -- always with Love, 

Cate


No comments:

Post a Comment